23 March 2011

Om

I just got into one of those arguments with my husband.  You know the ones.  The ones where you fight over the intonation or the word.  Just one word.  Yet the fight will take an hour it seems.  You've gone places you don't want to go and swore you would never go again just to prove your point (which is still right).  So for the last twenty minutes, my chest has still been in turmoil.  The storm is just raging inside.  Like after watching a particularly surprising and terrifying or uncomfortable scene in a movie.  It takes a little time for me to calm down.

But as I was perusing through my Google Reader, I came across this photo of a library in the woods.  /sigh.  Complete calm.  My "happy place" that I go to when I need to calm down is a forest.  A deep, dense forest alive with large, overgrown and untidy trees.  When that doesn't work, I go to books.  I escape into another world.  I recently was reading a book and came across this paragraph that felt so familiar, like it was my own skin.  "She threw herself into books, emulating each character she met.  She never managed to find herself in these books no matter how she tried, exhuming traits from between the pages and donning them for an hour, a day, a week.  We think, in some ways, we have all done this our whole lives, searching for the book that will give us the keys to ourselves, let us in to a wholly formed personality as though it were a furnished room to let."

So here, in this one photo, I have both the environmentally calming trees and the mind-numbing (or sometimes mind-raging) escape of books.  Complete. Serenity.


Bring it on, Mister.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

Umm..yes please! I want that to be apart of my house/backyard!! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Manna said...

Just last night I spent about an hour trying to explain to my husband what your author just summarized in one splendid paragraph after he walked in and found me sobbing. I still don't think he fully understands. Not from a lack of not understanding me. I know that he believes me because he does know me and my passion. He's just a different breed of human. One that comes from a lineage of more conservative, realistic, strategic genes. Hence his nickname among his friends, electronic brain. My passion for losing myself in stories just doesn't compute. For this, we complete each other. But for all that, it's so wonderful for me to stumble upon this from you because you know exactly what I mean when I say that the reason I was sobbing is that I'm currently recovering and repairing myself from my latest tryst in another world.

I hope that never ends.

Rachael said...

Manna, I. Love. This. Comment. There's just nothing like meeting a new character and walking with him/her in their shoes. There are very few people that understand it and they may be right when they claim we're only hiding from reality and hurting ourselves by not getting out and living ourselves. Hey, I think we've both lived quite a lot and no thanks, I'll take a good book. It will never change. But we may one day run out of good books...

Manna said...

And if that ever happens, feel free to put a bullet in me...