01 March 2011

A Craft a Day Keeps the Worries Away.

The Mini Me is having a birthday party this Saturday - which usually would elicit a "Yay!" response from me.  This time, however, it snuck up on me in the midst of other stresses and its become more of a "Oh crap, I have no idea what's going on."  Luckily, I had the forethought to hold the party at my sister's house in St. Augustine so she and my Mom have banded together to bring the party to fruition.  I basically have let go of control over the details, but at least I can craft!

I have seen silhouettes all over the crafty blog world over the past year or so and have always wanted to try it, but never forced myself to stop long enough to try.  That is the best thing about special occasions for me, it forces me to stop and do what I do best - create.  So as I was sitting in my apartment yesterday not at all motivated to mother my poor, helpless, tv-watching daughter, I began to brainstorm and the silhouette and party crown slowly (and painfully) crept into being.  The silhoutte was actually quite easy.  That was accomplished in one episode of Curious George.  (Although it took an additional Barney to pull it all together into the frame.)

I had cut out the template for the crown the night before, but I was absolutely stuck on what to put on it.  All of the crowns I had seen on Etsy or in my Reader had the age sewn on or maybe initials - but I really just didn't like the primary look of it all.  I really wanted something pretty, but this is usually where my crafting goes wrong.  If I would make the crown for the mini me like I'm supposed to, it would be a whole heck of a lot easier (and more basic - shudder).  Instead, I make it for me and force her into it - poor (stylish) dear.  So six hours and three variations later, I finally put together a centerpiece and slowly figured out the details over two Redbridges and a movie.  Finally, after poking and pulling and nearly rubbing skin sores into my poor tender fingers, I had created a crown for my Mini Me!  Just so that she can wear it for ONE picture and then never glance at it again.  /sigh.

Please do not laugh at my photography skills or lack thereof.  One photography class does not a professional make.





The flowers were made last year for her birthday party and have served as decoration for our apartment ever since.  I'm thinking I'll be using them again this year sans ugly green floral foam and dollar store container.  

Onward to further birthday crafts!  I'll post today's accomplishments as well.  I need oohs and ahhs people...

4 comments:

ashley c said...

ooh and ahh! can't wait to see her in the crown. you must post pics. such a crafty talent!

p.s. the word verification for this post was brapork...

Rachael said...

as in "Why is your bra in my pork?"

Kasey said...

I wanna know how to make silhouettes! :D

Rachael said...

So easy, Kasey! My next post will be the tutorial! The hardest part is keeping the kid still while you get a decent picture of their profile. Ros was not a happy cooperator.